The Top 5 advantages and disadvantages associated with Video Conferencing
5 Advantages to Video Conferencing
Video Conferencing allows you to communicate remotely face to face.
With video conferencing, we are now able to have face to face conversations from around the world! Never before has such a revolutionary feat been possible since the inventions of the phone or that of the internet.
Video Conferencing is more personable than a phone call.
If you have ever had a phone call, it may sometimes seem off putting to communicate with someone as you might not entirely be aware of what is going on in their end of the phone call. They might be weaving in and out of the conversation as they are presently doing something requiring their immediate attention. Meanwhile, a video conference allows the specters to be fully aware of what the presenter is doing through sound and sight. Adding another dimension to communications. This in turn is more pleasant as it allows people to identify other people in their actual physical form.
Save money on travel expenses.
As mentioned previously, in the past, some things that required face to face communication create a demand for people to spend money to travel where they needed to meet the person they needed to talk to. Now, within a schedule that meets the needs of both time zones, we are able to save money on communications through the use of video conferencing technology.
It is a work around for people that work at home.
Being able to communicate remotely is something that also allows who people may need or want to stay at home, to be able to meet with potential clients without a need for an expensive office or facility.
It increases productivity as it allows people with disabilities to be a part of meetings.
Time outside of the office does not have to mean time outside of getting updates for work with video conferencing. Be it that you are sick, away from home or work, physically unable to meet in the office, or facing any other form of injury making you unable to be present in meeting, you are now able to
5 Disadvantages to Video Conferencing
Video Conferencing is contingent on internet speed
- The quality of the Video Conferencing is directly related to the speed of an individual’s infrastructure is able to provide. If you do not have a fast connection, video quality may actually cause problems with miscommunication.
Video Conferencing takes some technical ability to set up
- Video Conferencing is great! When it works. Sometimes Video Conferencing is contingent on the prelimary, physical set up of how cameras and possibly other hardware needs to be configured before you are able to communicate with someone else.
Video Conferencing can be incredibly expensive
- There are so many options available out there for individuals and organizations alike, that sometimes it can get equal parts frustrating and expensive. Things such as buying quality equipment, hiring knowledgeable technicians, and properly setting up hardware within an office or personal space consume both financial and emotional resources the longer they are not fully operational.
You may need additional devices to include video capabilities
- As stated above, with video conferencing being a concern. Sourcing quality equipment to host the video and audio processing, such as video cameras and the optional high resolution microphone and speakers can be a daunting task in itself.
There is a short delay between sending and receiving information
- When video conferencing is not entirely operational, or there may be problems within the technical environment, there is the a possibility that delays take place throughout the video conference. Now, theses delays vary in length and are highly unpredictable, but equate to the same effect. It leads to a build up of frustration and communication between both parties. Which is an exceptionally negative to have when there is a need for the highest level of communication in to be present in business deals or any exchange of sensitive information.
For over 40 years, Tele-Dynamics has been a world leader in Business and Security Technology.
Schedule an appointment with one of our specialist today!